Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Elena Baltacha reaches quarter-finals at Suez Open


Elena Baltacha survived a wobble as she advanced to the last eight of the Suez Open in France.

Baltacha comfortably took the first set against Vesna Dolonts of Russia but had to rally after dropping the second to seal a 6-3 3-6 6-3 victory.

The Scot, ranked 91 in the world, will face either world number 60 and top seed Kristina Barrois or Anastasia Yakimova in the quarter-finals.

Heather Watson, 18, will bid to join Baltacha in the quarters on Thursday.

The British number three will play 29-year-old Italian Maria-Elena Camerin, with the winner advancing to face either Romania's Irina-Camelia Begu or home favourite Pauline Parmentier.

A delighted Baltacha said: "I'm really, really pleased with the win today, especially playing a good young prospect who made the third round at the Aussie Open this year. She has a very good quality clay game.

"This is my first ever quarter-finals on clay, which makes my win even more satisfying. This performance gives me great confidence as I'm obviously not known as a clay player.

"I prepared well though and I'm getting more confident on it. This is really good preparation for the upcoming tournaments in Strasbourg and Roland Garros."

No comments:

Post a Comment