Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Nathan Cleverly says he is 'destined' to rule world


Nathan Cleverly says he is destined to be a world champion after defeating Karo Murat in Birmingham on Saturday.

The European light-heavyweight champion closed in on a shot for the WBO title after the 10th round stoppage in an official final eliminator.

"It all went to plan, I trained hard and I'm destined to be world champion," Welshman Cleverly told BBC Sport Wales.

"That's what world champions do, they go in, remain unbeaten, look exciting and I took that guy apart."

Cleverly, 23, is now unbeaten in 20 fights with 10 of those finishing inside the scheduled finish.

The WBO title could become vacant if champion Juergen Braehmer fails in his appeal against a 16-month prison sentence for assault and insulting behaviour.

But if Braehmer's appeal is successful, promoter Frank Warren would like to match the pair on another blockbuster bill in December.

"I'm not too sure what the situation is with him," added Cleverly. "If he doesn't go to prison then I'm fighting him in December and that will be for the full world title.

"It's getting close, I can feel it, it's within my grasp.

"It's everything I've dreamed for and there's no way I'm going to let it slip. I've come too far to let this occasion slip.

"I will become world champion, I will remain unbeaten and I will be the next big thing in Great Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment